Friday, September 23, 2011

There Aren't Enough Words

Today would have been Jim Henson's 75th birthday. There are very few people in this world that I would truly call my hero. Jim Henson is one of them. The amount of joy he brought into the world ended far sooner than it should of but I am forever grateful for what we do have and the continued legacy the Henson name imparts. He touched the lives of millions of people through the Muppet Show, Fraggle Rock, Sesame Street, not to mention all of the movies and experimental work he left behind. There is something to be said about the impact he left on the world and on me. The first picture I hung up in my classroom at school was a picture of Jim and Kermit on set.

But it wasn't just him, the reason the legacy remains so strong today is because of the work of countless others from his physical family to his "fictional" family, Jerry Juhl, Frank Oz, and all the unnamed people who ever played a roll in his work, the love and attitude he brought to the table and made others feel remains strong enough that my generation still cares and will force 30 or 40 year old muppet show episodes on our children. We care enough that there is still a demand for a new movie and hopefully a new tv show, there simply are not enough words to adequately convey the feeling and impact he left.

This video has already gone around some amongst my friends today, but with something like this I have no problem with reposting it because I'll gladly watch it every time

No comments:

Post a Comment